Old January 13th 18, 03:04 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

Default Want to know the REAL future of climate? Ask an astronomer

On Fri, 12 Jan 2018 17:31:08 -0800 (PST), RichA
wrote:

"Given that our future minimum will last for at least three solar cycles, which is about 30 years, it is possible that the lowering of the temperature will not be as deep as during the Maunder Minimum," Popova said earlier in July. "But we will have to examine it in detail. We keep in touch with climatologists from different countries. We plan to work in this direction."

In other words, she doesn't know.

Indeed, there's nothing connecting the Maunder minimum to cooler
climate. Correlation without causation, and the correlation is called
into doubt by strong evidence that the cooling which occurred only
happened in the northern hemisphere.

Of course, even if we do enter a period of reduced solar activity
(uncertain), and even if it does result in a period of cooler climate
(uncertain), that doesn't address the future of climate except in the
short term. In the long term, temperatures will continue to rise and
atmospheric CO2 will continue to rise if swift action isn't taken, and
both of those are likely to cause humans great problems.