Old August 24th 04, 10:09 PM
Paul Lawler

(Fleemo) wrote in
om:

I just picked up some Zeiss Lens Cloths at Wallyworld. The packaging
reads, "Pre-moistened, non-abrasive lens cloths safely and quickly
clean any lens, especially those with Zeiss anti-reflective
multi-layer coatings. High-tech ammonia-free formula cleans
effectively without leaving streaks or residue."

Might these cloths be suitable for cleaning astro gear such as
eyepieces and/or mirror surfaces? Or would I be better off sticking
with alcohol?

Thanks.

I use a Lens Pen for eyepieces because it has no liquid to seep down in
between the plastic and the elements.

The Zeiss wipe might be useful for "spot cleaning" of a mirror, if an
errant fowl has used your zenith pointed dob for target practice, but
cleaning the entire mirror using the traditional methods is not that
difficult.