Old August 6th 03, 06:30 PM
Mike Combs

Default Malthusian Theory and Travel Beyond Earth Orbit

John Maxson wrote:

I too have never had a great deal of hope that our solar system
would be of much help to us for population expansion. That
does not mean I'm without hope for moving beyond it.

As others have correctly pointed out, we have little reason to be concerned
that we need space to solve any "overpopulation problem". But just to set the
record straight, Gerard O'Neill established that with space habitat technology,
there are sufficient resources in our system to support a population many
thousands of times that of Earth. And all without moving beyond the solar
system.

The solar system only seems inadequate if we confine our thinking to the
surfaces of planets and moons.

--

Regards,
Mike Combs