Old June 17th 07, 10:04 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Richard Crisp[_1_]

Default ASTRO: Common object uncommonly processed

nice one Rick

I like the target

now the trick is to capture and process it so that you can see the outer
part and the inner part and not do a cut and paste

that's what I was doing he

http://www.narrowbandimaging.com/ngc...ge.htmunli ke you I never finished my color version.you remind me that I should :-)"Rick Johnson" wrote in ... Seeing was very bad when I took this one. So bad I never processed it, about 6". None of the detail usually seen in this object was visible at such seeing. But I did notice an odd galaxy on the left side so decided to process it anyway for that galaxy. Then I found the object I was taking had a lot more to it than was normally seen in photos of it that showed just the burned out center. The center is burned out mainly because seeing didn't allow any of the fine detail there to be seen so I just said the heck with it and let it burn out to better expose the much larger outer region. The bright blue cloud right of center carries its own IC number. I'm not sure if that red chevron is part of the object or just a bit of unrelated gas that is being hit by the shock front from the object. It has no catalog ID I could find. In any case both the emission object and the very weird barred spiral turned out worth processing after all. Can anyone figure out what the commonly photographed object in the center is? Hubble took a very famous shot of it. The blue oval at the bottom is a 9.6 mag star that hit the very edge of the CCD. The exposure time was cut short by clouds. Happening all too often this spring. If I ever get seeing like I did for NGC 4517 posted a couple days ago, I'll try again to get the core detail. 14" LX200R @ f/10, L=3x10' RGB=1x10' all binned 2x2, STL-11000XM, Paramount ME Rick -- Correct domain name is arvig and it is net not com. Prefix is correct. Third character is a zero rather than a capital "Oh".