Old May 30th 12, 08:18 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
oriel36[_2_]

Default Moments of Inertia and the Shape of Continents and Landmasses on Earth

On May 28, 8:47*pm, Chris L Peterson wrote:
On Mon, 28 May 2012 11:56:54 -0700 (PDT), Nico V
wrote:

A few nights ago I was thinking about a hypothetical theory. The full
explanation will be below, but as a short introduction I think Earth
doesn't only rotate around it's own axis of rotation and orbits the
sun, I'm guessing you also could derive a point in space where our
solar system rotates around, solely by studying the shapes of the
continents.

The next point of rotation of the Solar System is the galactic center,
unless you include some very slow precessional modes. Suffice to say,
the positions and shapes of the continents have changed radically over
the history of the Earth, and are continuing to do so- all well
explained by convective forces inside the Earth which are orders of
magnitude greater than any centripetal forces that are present from
orbital motions.

The 'convection cell' mechanism is possibly as bad as this guy's idea.

This is how I know that none of you act like astronomers,I mean I
grant you the excitement of the transit event outside the context of
its dynamics and that of the Earth,but in the matter of the fluid
dynamics of the Earth's interior and how it acts on the surface crust
in terms of crustal evolution/motion,I have yet to see another
astronomer work through the arguments.It actually would make the Earth
a singular exception among all rotating celestial bodies with viscous
compositions to exempt it flow zonal flow,differential rotation or an
uneven rotational gradient between equatorial and polar latitudes in
order to account for the clues left on the surface crust and the 26
mile spherical deviation between equatorial and polar diameters.

Astronomy is an exciting business every day rather than just these
rare events where people emerge from their slumber for a few days and
then drift off to sleep until the next photographic event.For a
genuine astronomer,a breaking dawn is just as spectacular and we go
about our business of maintaining a flow of information between
dynamics,terrestrial effects or events such as transits where a moving
Earth and a moving Venus play out an orbital cycle with the central
Sun as a backdrop for a very short while.