Old August 24th 07, 10:43 AM posted to sci.astro.fits
LC's NoSpam Newsreading account[_2_]

Default [fitsbits] Abuse of EXTEND keyword

On Thu, 23 Aug 2007, Randall Thompson wrote:

You are basically saying that EXTEND=F, EXTEND=T, or leaving it out
completely all mean the same thing; namely, extensions may or may not
exist.

Hence the reason for deprecation.

By the way, we get many files delivered for archiving within MAST
that use both the EXTEND and the NEXTEND keyword. Although not a
reserved keyword, NEXTEND is commonly used to describe the
number of included extensions. I guess we are in the minority on this,

Maybe you could register a "convention" about NEXTEND.

Providing the number of extensions in the primary header seems a
very reasonable thing for me, if the file is intended to be static.

What will be a file with no extension in your convention ?

- no keyword at all
- EXTEND=F and no NEXTEND kwd
- EXTEND=F and NEXTEND=0
- EXTEND=T and NEXTEND=0

is a newsreading account used by more persons to