Old October 31st 03, 04:56 PM
Gordon D. Pusch

Default Jupiter question

"Larry G" writes:

Here's a question I've always wondered about. How come no space probe
(that I'm aware of) has taken photos inside Jupiter's (or any of the
large planets') atmosphere?

Limited uplink bandwidth plus limited available light.
Both factors imply that It Would Cost Too Much To Fly It.

Or at least photos from a very low orbit.

Define "low."

Also, _too_ low, and atmospheric drag sucks in your Incredibly Expensive
Space Probe.

I think this would be fascinating.

"Fascinating" doesn't always Pay The Bills.

Is it because the atmospheric temperature would melt the probe/camera
before it reached the low orbit and/or descent?

No. It is because of Limited Bandwidth, Limited Light, and Limited Budget.

Are there any known plans to send a probe that could withstand the
extreme temps (or gravity?) to achieve such a feat?

No.

(BTW, "gravity" is hardly an issue; the Jupiter Entry Probe experienced
=FAR= higher gee-loads during the atmospheric entry.)

-- Gordon D. Pusch

perl -e '$_ = \n"; s/NO\.//; s/SPAM\.//; print;'