Old July 30th 03, 07:28 AM
William R. Thompson

Default Strange fireball

DeAnna wrote:

Last night (Monday) around 9 pm (Central time zone), I noticed a bright white ball streak
across the sky. The ball was distinctly white, but the 'trail' it left was a bright green.
Did anyone else see this? Are there any resources to find out what this might have been? I
watch the meteor showers regularly, and have never seen one so big, and with such a bright
'head' and such a green trail. I am wondering what it was.

Any information would be appreciated.

You might look at Alan Pickup's site:

http://www.wingar.demon.co.uk/satevo/current.htm

which has predictions for satellite re-entries. I'm not
sure that either of the two satellites with re-entry dates
close to 28 July are good candidates for your object.
The Ohsumi satellite is a fairly small object, unlikely
to put on a spectacular display, and I understand that
Molniya boosters commonly burn up over the southern Pacific.

It sounds like you may have seen a bolide--an unusually
bright meteor.

--Bill Thompson