Old January 15th 18, 08:21 AM posted to sci.space.history
snidely

Default John Watts Young, 1930-2018

Stuf4 noted that:
From Snidely:
Snidely is guilty of mn.684b7e21b1785a20.127094@snitoo as of
1/13/2018 1:15:23 AM
Just this Friday, Stuf4 puzzled about:

Sorry for the column width hassle. I could take care of that manually on
my end. I had been quite impressed with how GoogleGroups was working,
say, a decade ago. Very disappointing what it has become. Maybe someday
I will join in on the real newsreader thing. Thanks for the pointers.

Cross-posting in GG was removed (or at least made difficult) as a spam
control measure, AIUI. I use GG a lot when I'm not at the home computer,
and have since shortly after the Deja News purchase (and so for at least 2
"New Style" rollouts). It works pretty well, except when somebody makes
showing the top-of-post the default instead of showing the unquoted parts
as the default. The "overview" option is very useful to me, although once
you click on an individual post you are no longer in overview. The
efficacy of the search tools sometimes varies, but if you can find the
tick mark on the right side of the "ordinary" search box, things improve.

Oh, and the native Google Groups I use don't have ads.

(technical forums)

Thanks for the info. There are effective ways of controlling spam other than
breaking very useful features. GG broke many of the things that made it
excellent. Like 'view as tree', exacting search, etc.

View as a tree is still there. The advanced search options usually
)(but not always) work well. There is debate even among users of "true
newsreaders" as to whether cross-posting is civilized behavior or not
(my answer: "it depends", and local custom is important).

/dps

--
"This is all very fine, but let us not be carried away be excitement,
but ask calmly, how does this person feel about in in his cooler