Old April 27th 10, 11:33 PM posted to sci.space.history
Brad Guth[_3_]

Default How the CIA took America to the Moon

On Apr 27, 7:46*am, Dan Birchall
wrote:
(Brad Guth) wrote:
*On Apr 24, 8:20?pm, Dan Birchall
The cold-war and propaganda bits went a bit further back than that,
like requirement 5 of the Project Horizon report (9 June 1959):

"To be second to the Soviet Union in establishing an outpost on the
?moon would be disastrous to our nation's prestige and in turn to
?our democratic philosophy. Although it is contrary to United States
?policy, the Soviet Union in establishing the first permanent base,
?may claim the moon or critical areas thereof for its own. Then a
?subsequent attempt to establish an outpost by the United States
?might be considered and propagandised as a hostile act. The Soviet
?Union in propaganda broadcasts has announced the 50th anniversary
?of the present government (1967) will be celebrated by Soviet
?citizens on the moon. The National Space policy intelligence
?estimate is that the Soviets could land on the moon by 1968."[1]

So if the CIA said that kind of thing in shortly before 1968, it was
just repeating things that had been said for over a decade.

[1]http://www.astronautix.com/articles/prorizon.htm

*Are you going to suggest that no one private or public funded group or
*agency was ever responsible for distorting or perpetrating anything?

No, just pointing out that the stuff the CIA apparently said in 1968,
wasn't particularly new or original.

--
djb@ | Dan Birchall, Night Operation Assistant, Subaru Telescope/NAOJ.
naoj | Views I express are my own, certainly not those of my employer.

Neither was anything Kissinger, Dick Cheney and their puppet warlord
GW Bush had to say, but it still created 9/11 and got us into yet
another spendy and lethal war that was as bogus/phony as Muslim WMD.

~ BG