Old July 1st 04, 05:33 PM
CLT

Default Best lunar atlas (BOOK) under $60?

Atlas of the Lunar Terminator
by John Westfall
http://tinyurl.com/24fn3

The photos are *very* overprocessed --- ruining what could have been a great
atlas.

The Hatfield Photographic Lunar Atlas
by Jeremy Cook
http://tinyurl.com/2ktaz

Computers allow us to take better pictures now, but this is still a very
good atlas. The line drawings are good and there are a number of photos for
each section. This shows how the features change in appearance with
different lighting conditions.

Clear Skies

Chuck Taylor
Do you observe the moon?
And the Lunar Picture of the Day http://www.lpod.org/
************************************

I lean a little towards Hatfield simply because I used to have a copy
of the original book "Amateur Astronomer's Photographic Lunar Atlas"
by Hatfield back when I was a teenager in the mid-seventies. To be
quite honest I can't remember how useful it was to me at the time. My
main motive for buying it back then was that I liked his astrophotos
(I remember a nice Orion Nebula pic that Hatfield took) that appeared
in some of Patrick Moore's books like "Atlas of the Universe" (1969 ed.).

Can anyone tell me their opinions on the above mentioned atlases, or
any that I've overlooked (they need not be currently in print, just
affordable if bought used, which is often how I like to purchase books)?

Thank you.
Malcolm