Old September 21st 06, 09:48 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Painius[_1_] Painius[_1_] is offline
Banned

Default Whence spiral galaxies?

"Starlord" wrote in message
. ..

Not all galaxys come from mearging, many of the spiral start out as that
kind of galaxy. Look at the Milklyway, our home, it's a barred spiral
galaxy and we have up to 5 or 6 smaller galaxys of no real form in orbit
around it and the gravite of the MW is slowly pulling them down to become
part of the MW itself. At this very time a small sub galaxy is mearging
with the MW on the other side away from us.

And in another billion years, our galaxy and M-31 will start the dance of
death and will endup sometime in the far furture mearing together to
become a vastly bigger spiral galaxy.

There is no evidence for this, just a lot of unsubstantiated
hype. A blue shift simply means that an object is moving
in our GENERAL direction. M-31 could actually be going
at nearly right angles to us in a virtually infinite number of
directions. Or it could actually be traveling at any angle
from zero up to almost 90 degrees and again in virtually
an infinite number of directions.

Blue shifts only give an idea as to the RADIAL component
of an object's vectorial travel. There is as yet absolutely no
way to detect the LATERAL component of the Andromeda
Galaxy's direction of zoom.

happy days and...
starry starry nights!

--