Old June 1st 04, 08:03 AM
Jonathan Silverlight

In message , Christopher M. Jones
writes
Mike Flugennock wrote:
In article ,
(Christopher M. Jones) wrote:
Better than Jupiter. Cassini's instruments are quite a bit
newer than Gallileo's were, and Cassini has a functioning
high gain antenna. Some of the stuff that Gallileo was supposed to
do but didn't, much, we'll see for the first time with Cassini. Some
of the neater aspects of that will be plenty of high-resolution
movies of atmospheric changes on Saturn and Titan.

The thing I'm _really_ drooling over is the descent and surface
images
expected from Huygens, not just from their scientific importance, but from
the sheer beauty of them. The views from the surface of another world
where Sol or Earth is _not_ the central feature -- I'm guessing
"Saturnset" will be the prettiest thing in the sky there -- is something
that's going to be really fascinating.

To date we have seen imagery from the surface or
within the atmosphere of three plantary bodies
which were not Earth (Moon, Mars, Venus).
Huygens will raise that number to 4, the Rosetta
Lander to 5, and Muses-C/Hayabusa to 6.

I feel a need to add what Arthur Clarke called the prayer of the space
age - "if all goes well".
It's too bad (no, it's inexcusable) that the ESA Mercury lander has been
cancelled. Magnificent seven sounds good!
--
What have they got to hide? Release the full Beagle 2 report.