Old March 13th 04, 01:58 AM
Gregory L. Hansen

Default Alternative to Rockets

In article ,
nafod40 wrote:
Mike Miller wrote:
2) Mass drivers/railguns/coilgun launchers. Unfortunately, the big
electromagnetic launchers that can fling a spaceship into orbit
without turning passengers to goo is really, really long, like 600-700
miles for a 3G launch.

Not that it would be a "make or break" factor, but they did centrifuge
tests way back where the subjects were immersed in water, then spun up.
The water pressure outside the body opposed the internal pressures, and
the subjects/victims were able to carry on conversations at 12+ G's.

I've thought that if you need to carry water on missions, for shielding
and all of the other reasons, might as well put it to work for you.

Just did a quick google...the Swiss have a suit called the Libelle that
is based on the principle, lets you chit chat at 12 G's sustained. It
would be higher laying back in a couch.

Cool! If they're chit chatting and, well, breathing, I assume the head
doesn't need additional protection at 12 G's?

I think the standard flight suit applies regular pressure on the legs and
torso, but as I recall a pilot can only go to about 8 G's before blacking
out in a turn. What's different about that?

--
"Things should be made as simple as possible -- but no simpler."
-- Albert Einstein