Old June 22nd 03, 11:33 PM
Odysseus

Default Happy Solstace

|-|erc wrote:

Cross posted to alt.astronomy, the sun orbits the center of our galaxy,
in phase with all the surrounding stars so not like a planets orbit, something
like a 2 million year period if memory serves. galaxy speeds aren't given an absolute
speed in current models, though a relative figure against neighbouring galaxies
might be considered the absolute speed.

The sun's period of revolution around the galactic centre is about
200 million years. Neighbouring galaxies aren't much use as velocity
references because they tend to have high speeds relative to our own.

--Odysseus