Old July 18th 17, 06:38 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.physics,rec.arts.sf.science,sci.electronics.design
David Mitchell[_3_]

Default Towards the *fully* 3D-printed electric cars.

wrote:
In sci.physics David Mitchell wrote:
wrote:
In sci.physics David Mitchell wrote:

snip

Not really - for example, if we're not at the limits of layer hardening time,
then we can use multiple print heads, multiplying the print rate.
I thought that was apparent, apparently I needed to explain it.

But we are at those limits as well as how fast we can lay down a layer
without slopping it around.

Did you think the issue is how fast a stepper motor goes or how fast you
can squeeze something out of a nozzle?

First of all, there are other technologies, the second of the new printers I
posted uses one of them.

All the technologies squirt out something that has liquid properties and
then is hardened somehow, all of them.

Apart from those which don't, such as laser sinterers, or those, such as the one
I linked to, which hardens a resin with a laser.

There are no Star Trek replicators where a complete object forms out of
thin air.

No-one has ever claimed there are.

Second, even something as simple as adding more print heads would multiply the
printing speed, as I've explained twice now.

What part of we are already at the limit of deposition rate is it you can not
grasp?

The part where you saying it makes it true: it's not.
Unless you can prove me wrong, it's your claim after all, so feel free to
provide evidence.

"The BAAM was used to manufacture the first (almost) fully 3D printed car, the
Strati, for together with Local Motors. With a deposition rate of up to 38 lbs
of material per hour, it is possibly the fastest machine currently on the market."

The Strati is little more than a $30,000 golf cart and the finish is an
abomination.

Not the point, remember the whole "mature technology" thing?
If we can do that *now*, imagine what we'll be able to do in 30 years time.

Yes, it is the whole point.

They get speed by using thick layers as there is no other way to do it. This
results in a crap finish.

Simply not true, see my points above.

Yes, it is true. Look at the pictures of the thing and read the companies
own press releases.

There were two links posted - I notice you're completely ignoring the second.
There are also other kinds of 3-D printer, and different types will be invented.
Can you honestly not see that, or are you just ignoring it, because you know
you've lost this particular argument?