Old May 29th 08, 02:53 PM posted to sci.geo.geology,sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,soc.history.what-if,alt.astronomy
BradGuth

Default Earth w/o Moon / by Brad Guth

Earth w/o moon would be much colder and most likely deep into the next
ice-age. There would still be ocean tides of roughly one third and of
a 24 hour basis, and Earth would likely have some degree of seasonal
tilt, as well as over the long term odds of having pole flipping or
wobble to deal with, as well as Earth's orbit being more elliptical.

BTW, human soot laced with CO2, NOx and lots of other nifty and nasty
byproducts does cause global dimming, of which in turn releases mother
natures flatulence of methanes and CO2 as well as Radon(Rn222) as
millions of acres each year keep burning to the ground, not to mention
uncontrolled coal fires that are mostly underground, and even a few
too many of those coal fires of the recently exposed and/or eroded
surface.

At the ongoing rate of natural and artificial burning of our fossil
and bio fuels, we'll be lucky to stretch this ongoing game of
pillaging and raping mother nature for all she's worth much past the
next century, without dire consequences and bloodshed like never seen
before.

The very gradual increase (meaning hardly measurable outside of the
usual 11 year cycle) in sunspot energy is not causing us much grief,
although it is certainly not helping to cool us off.

Our trusty moon with its mutually interactive tidal energy worth of
2e20 N/sec is however in charge of what has been thawing us out from
the very last ice-age this planet w/moon is ever going to see. Sorry
about that.

2e20 N * 3.6e3 = 7.2e23 N/hr

Do the math any which way you'd care to convert whatever small portion
(say not more than 0.1% and not less than 0.0001%) of that force into
the unavoidable internal friction of thermal energy, then remember
that it's ongoing 24/7/365. There's also the moon secondary worth of
IR, plus always its gamma and X-rays to contend with, of which
wouldn't be such a problem if our protective magnetosphere wasn't
fading away at .05%/year.

DARPA/NASA knows all of this and so much more.
.. - Brad Guth