Old September 10th 03, 06:21 PM
sean

Default Gravitation and Maxwell's Electrodynamics, BOUNDARY CONDITIONS

"George Dishman" wrote in message ...

The energy is mainly stored in the string and some is transferred
to the flexions of the body. There is only energy stored in the air
in the form of the Helmholz resonance (as in blowing over the bottle)
but the more important aspect is that the air acts principally like
the damper in the mass/spring system. It removes energy from the
'vibrating system' of your definition and converts it as the sound
we hear.

George

Hi George
THanks for your informative reply and if you dont mind I will still
argue my case
I will post this message as a response to all your valid points made
and save google space by deleting both of our arguments. I have quoted
from your arguments and hopefully anyone else reading will go back to
your post to see the relevent context rather than me reposting the
whole argument.
George

Here are a few quotes of yours .........

That is correct, you need something to constrain the medium. Even
a change of density can be enough.

That is correct. A spring/mass system is resonant but a mass
on its own isn't, and nor would a massless spring be.

Clearly the medium plays a part but without
the bottle there is no resonance.

What I mean is that the medium can be part of a system that resonates.
It is "the system" that is resonating, not just the medium.

The Sun is just a ball of gas, pure medium, yet
it exhibits resonance! The subject of helio-siesmology is greatly
concerned with resonance. I talk below of "containment" and in
this case it is the boundary between regions of different density
that provides the container........

In other words here you say that a resonating system that is only a
medium, "pure medium" as you say in your sun example can, as long as
it was contained , exhibit resonance!

So Davids claim that a medium cannot exhibit resonance is incorrect
unless he were to have added the proviso that it had to be contained
to exhibit resonance. And he didnt offer this option on this thread
that a medium could exhibit resonance if it were contained but rather
was trying to insinuate that a medium in any circumstance,.. contained
or uncontained,.. could not exhibit resonance. Therefore he is wrong
to insinuate this UNLESS he is willing to admit that yes a medium
contained , CAN exhibit resonance

That was the reason why I interjected and will continue to do so
whenever he claims that only a particle can exhibit resonance. Because
he is wrong and the fact is that a medium like gas or air CAN exhibit
resonance as long as it conforms to.. "George Dishmans rules of
containment"
And this leads me to the next part of my argument

That in an infinite universe wave only atoms in medium *can* exhibit
resonance. You say that an infinite homogenous universe cannot exhibit
resonance because the medium called aether or vacuum is uncontained.
Yet if the medium were not homogenous but as observed having different
densities would it not be true that the boundaries between these
different densities could supply the requisite George Dishman boundary
conditions to allow a medium to resonate?
And the observed universe does indeed have different densities from
stars to interstellar mediums to intergalactic mediums.
And a medium within a resonating system like a sun or star is said to
exhibit resonance according to the George Dishman rules of resonance
And a resonating system is said to contain nodes or maxima and
although according to the GD rules these nodes do not constitute
resonance themselvesthey are none the less observed within resonating
systems.
And atoms, by classical wave only theorists like myself, are
essentially theoretically referred to as nodes within a resonating
system (that is a medium exhibiting resonance like the sun withy
boundary conditions)
And as the universe has observed boudary conditions by way of observed
different observed interstellarmedium densities then it can be said
that according to the George Dishman rules of resonance the universe
as it contains OBSERVED boundaries and yet is only a medium then
therefore one, can according to GD rules, say that nodes of maxima
occur within this resonating system of a universe medium that is
contained (or more correctly maybe ...subcontained)
And therefore according to George Dishman rules if a wave only
theorist says that an atom is only a node within a resonating
contained medium then George HIMSELF has confirmed this to be
possible.

And just a seperate question which you may be able to supply the
answer. Why does a TV picture on a tube TV reduce slightly before
disappearing when the OFF button is pressed? It seems that the whole
image reduces in entirety and not just the edges creeping in. This
happens within less than a second after the off button is pressed
Sean