Old January 5th 07, 01:11 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

Default Space Elevator

"Danny Deger" wrote in message

"daedalus" wrote in message
.uk...
Trains struggle to go up a slight incline,

Missed this post. Yes, trains "struggle" because they're smooth steel on
steel.

Look at a cog railway and they have no such problem.

so vertical will be a huge
problem, Jt takes a lot of energy to clinb vertically and only a
relatively small amount of energy to roll something horizontally,

Of course, you're comparing apples to oranges here.

Good point. 200 MPH straight up would require some really big motors of
some type. I calculate going straightup fighting one G would take about
1,600 horsepower for a 3,000 lbm "capsule". I am not an expert, but this
looks to an amount that could be built into a space elevator.

Definitely.

Danny Deger

snip