Old January 4th 07, 08:13 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Danny Deger

Default Space Elevator

"daedalus" wrote in message
.uk...
Trains struggle to go up a slight incline, so vertical will be a huge
problem, Jt takes a lot of energy to clinb vertically and only a
relatively small amount of energy to roll something horizontally,

Good point. 200 MPH straight up would require some really big motors of
some type. I calculate going straightup fighting one G would take about
1,600 horsepower for a 3,000 lbm "capsule". I am not an expert, but this
looks to an amount that could be built into a space elevator.

Danny Deger

snip