Old June 7th 19, 11:24 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

Default Re-Entry through satellite constellations

In article ,
says...

With plans to launch billions and billions (ok, thousands) of small
satellites in very low Earth orbit, does this have any impact for manned
vehicles performing re-entry and passing through those altitudes?

If you need to land in a fairly small target area, your de-orbit burn
has to be done from a fairly precise location and thus this, right?

Is it just a question of slight change in orit altityde prior to
de-orbit burn to change the time where you pass over ]point where
de=orbit burn has to happen? Would doing so then often cause a conflict
with another satellite since there would be satellites passing near your
re-entry corridor to cover that land all the time?

Not any more than flying thousands of aircraft creates a "conflict" in
the air. Space is big. In fact, it's very big. It's so mind
bogglingly big that it's not a problem. These satellites are all
tracked so it's not a problem to make sure that you're avoiding them.

Or it is mofe likely to remain on schedule, but shift a capsule sideways
enough to avoid collision and then use aerodynamics/parachutes to get
back to target landing zone?

I take it BFR/BFS will have greater cross range capabilities with
powered landings and BFS having some aerodynamics and can more easily
steer todo a re-entry corridor that won't have collision and then steer
back on track to landing target?

Or is that a total non-issue with satellite density not being sufficient
to warrant such manoeuvers ?

Total non issue.

Jeff