Old July 22nd 04, 01:35 PM
Peter Smith

LaDonna Wyss wrote...
By the way, I thought about this at work, and I owe waitresses
and waiters across the country a humble apology. In
addressing this fool's nonsense about my having "slung hash"
for a living, I played into both his and Scott Grissom's
snobbery. My deepest apologies. Waiters and waitresses are
not sub-humans; they earn a respectable living. In fact, I
know some people who have chosen that job as their profession
even though they hold college degrees in other fields...they
simply enjoy the interaction with people more than a desk.
So, while I have never served food for a living, there is
absolutely nothing shameful about doing so. If there is in
Scott G's or Scott H's minds, perhaps they should stay in
their own kitchens rather than going to restaurants and
allowing such "lowlifes" to touch their food...imagine the
"cooties." (HEAR THE DRIPPING SARCASM.)
Once again, I'm very sorry for having fallen into that trap.
I've never looked down on people in ANY profession. Others
who do are the ones with the problem.

Interesting cultural insight. From an Australian perspective, this whole
post just sounds very odd.

- Peter