Old September 4th 16, 09:13 PM posted to sci.space.policy
William Mook[_2_]

Default Juno

On Saturday, September 3, 2016 at 7:28:43 AM UTC+12, jacob navia wrote:
NASA published some data today. Maybe it was just that, the view of the
poles of Jupiter was quite interesting, they took their time.

Thanks for the update.

https://www.missionjuno.swri.edu/media-gallery/junocam

JUNOCAM
In the media gallery below you'll find the first images being sent directly from the Juno spacecraft. Juno is carrying a camera, called JunoCam, to Jupiter to acquire the best pictures ever taken of Jupiter’s polar regions. But it has another purpose – to involve the world in planning and processing images, carrying out steps a science team would ordinarily do. The JunoCam team has planned the earth flyby images, but when we get to Jupiter we will rely on the public’s help to operate the camera..

How do you take a picture when your spacecraft is spinning? Malin Space Science Systems (MSSS) took on this challenge for the Juno project. JunoCam has a “push-frame” design, like many MSSS cameras, that acquires the image a strip at a time as the spacecraft spins and the earth passes through the field of view.

* * *
I especially like the images of Earth showing South America as Juno left Earth. It shows the stars as well as the Earth - in perfect exposure. It is the nature of the push-frame camera design to capture everything (not film that can be over-exposed on one area and under-exposed on another). So, the stars are visible as well as all the details on the Earth image. Very nice.