Old January 25th 12, 06:55 PM posted to sci.geo.meteorology,sci.astro,sci.physics,sci.astro.amateur
palsing[_2_]

Default Sunrise

On Jan 25, 10:01*am, "Androcles" wrote:

Year ago I did have the misfortune to encounter a moron that
insisted pi was 22/7. Same fixation on integers. Nothing can be
done for them, they are indoctrinated at an early age and just
as convinced in Santa Claus.

Years ago I used to read Scientific American, and would turn to Martin
Gardner's column first. I loved his puzzles and great math stories.
Anyhow, it was Gardner's mythical Dr. Matrix who talked about a ratio
of integers that produced pi accurate to at least 5 places. Take the
easy-to-remember series 113355 and divide the last 3 numbers by the
first 3, that's it.

Of course, most of us have no problem simply remembering pi to 5
places, but still...

\Paul A