Old May 23rd 19, 05:53 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Fred J. McCall[_3_]

Default NASA's full Artemis plan revealed: 37 launches and a lunar outpost

wrote on Wed, 22 May 2019 16:19:17 -0700
(PDT):

I have a continuing suggestion. Put a ground robot station
on the Moon's surface below L2. The robots could be made
more fault tolerant there, while they construct ultra-light
solar sails. I am talking about multi-Kilometer sized sails.

Solar sails aren't measured in electrical units.

At L2 there is a vertical climb from ground, no Moon circling.

Wrong. You cannot vertically climb into an orbit. L2 is not a stable
position, so you can't just stick a station there and have it stay
put.

I believe that robots with a ground construction base frame
would be able to recover from faults easier than free fall.
Free-fall sail oscillations would not exist also.

You believe lots of silly things.

-- Thomas Jefferson