Old July 2nd 18, 09:14 PM posted to sci.astro.research
Jos Bergervoet[_3_]

Default Spaceship Oumuamua

On 7/2/2018 7:08 AM, jacobnavia wrote:
Le 01/07/2018 à 19:37, Richard D. Saam a écrit:
m/t = F/v = 1.39 x 10^8/41,000 = 3,400 g/sec or 3.4 kg/sec

mass/material

7.999727

i.e. this object should have lost 1/8th of its mass in 4 months...

Yes, so after a few passages close to a star it would perhaps be
destroyed. But that is what happens to comets and asteroids all the
time (assuming that this is just an asteroid).

But maybe is not a spaceship, we will never know.

Maybe we could listen for EM interference with sharply beamed
receiver antennas? (Or actually not just noise but intentional
radio transmissions.. Has this been investigated?)

In any case it is wise of them to disguise their spaceship as
an asteroid. And to restrict their acceleration to small values
that could be caused by outgassing. That must be quite annoying,
never to be able to put their foot on the throttle (I mean their
tentacles, of course!)

a team of astronomers confirms the pioneer anomaly and other spacecraft
mysterious accelerations.

Maybe this object is experiencing the same "problem"?

That would be also a big scoop, maybe more productive than just an
interstellar cargo ship passing by.

If it is a real asteroid, just hollowed out to carry cargo, it
might be the cheapest interstellar transportation method. If it
could somehow control its outgassing for course corrections and
use a slingshot trajectory, delivering and picking up goods at
every passage of a star..

Perhaps Elon Musk should have sent up his Tesla car to Oumuamua!
Or better a whole shipment. Primitive artifacts from the natives
are always good merchandise. (Although not always a success for
the natives.. So maybe the President didn't allow him to, fearing
a new trade imbalance would develop?)

--
Jos