Old October 18th 05, 12:39 AM
Pat Flannery

Default CEV to be made commercially available

snidely wrote:

Could be Delrin or "engineering plastic", which show up in model
railroad kits for parts that would be too delicate in styrene.

Now that you mention it, it did somewhat resemble Plastruct engineering
model plastic.

Intermountain seems to have a decent reputation in model railroading,
fitting in to the "Lexus" price range compared to Athearn's "Toyota"
price range, but not up to the "Daimler" price range of some craftsmen
kits (I know, I shifted countries in that analogy).

Maybe the boss is a space freak, too, eh?

I found the story of where it came from:
http://www.imrcmodels.com/iss/issinfo.htm

"THE MODEL
A project of the scope and character (of the International Space
Station) requires that models be available as educational tools for all
aspects of the planning, development, and utilization of the prototype.
With this in mind and responding to the growing demand, Johnson
Engineering of Houston, Texas and InterMountain Railway Company of
Longmont, Colorado have cooperated in the development of a 1:144 scale
model of ISS. The dimensions of the completed model are 30x22x20". It is
injection molded in styrene plastic, and will be mass produced in
several versions to meet the varying needs for such a model."

They say it's styrene, I don't know if they changed the plastic, or if
it's some sort of super styrene.

Pat