Old July 5th 17, 03:04 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.physics,rec.arts.sf.science,sci.electronics.design
Greg Goss

Default Towards the *fully* 3D-printed electric cars.

Jeff Findley wrote:

Also, the other option that 3D printing opens up is more shape optimized
parts. These things are optimized so that "useless" mass is simply gone
from the design. They tend to look "organic" rather than "machined" due
to their complex shapes. I've heard this called "light-weighting" parts
from management types.

Sometimes you light-weight a part too far. Back in 1985, my mechanic
called me in to look at a repair. The new brake disk was much heavier
and much less "organic". But the original one warped because it
didn't have enough mass to absorb the heat till it could be radiated
away, and the manufacturer provided a much simpler but heavier
replacement part.

The new part was so much different looking than the original one that
he wanted my permission to proceed.

(As a 400 pound guy who likes to drive econobox microcars, I always
seem to have alignment and brake problems only on the front left.
Hmmm?)