Old June 21st 07, 02:58 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.skeptic,sci.astro,uk.sci.astronomy
Fred J. McCall

Default What's wrong with there being ETs (smarter than us none the less)

Ian Parker wrote:

:On 20 Jun, 15:46, Fred J. McCall wrote:
: Ian Parker wrote:
:
: :
: :We are looking at things like Google as a possible version of AI on
: :the Web.
: :
:
: Not if we're sane we're not.
:
: :
: :We know that television appearances in effect selects the President.
: :
:
: Nope. We don't know any such thing.
:
:Well every candidate seems to think otherwise.
:

Well, every candidate does NOT seem to think otherwise. If they
thought otherwise they would spend ALL their money on television
appearances.

They don't.

You're wrong.

:
:
:Google have assembled an impressive array of experts who have written
:what to me are marvellous papers. I have just given a critique.
:
:http://www.paperoftheweek.com/2007/0...-intelligence/
:
:The key issue is linguistics. You can make jokes on the lines of
:"Quieres dormir con fosforo" but the tackling of language, and speech
:which is a branch of linuistic understanding is impressive. "I want a
:spring for the clock" = "Quiero una resorte por el reloj" reloj =
:resorte is the sort of thing that the diagrams in the speech paper is
:talking about. The evaluation of a complex Markov diagram is
:complicated but it can be done. Google is on its way. What it has
:already delivered is impressive too. Getting everything to work on a
:Web scale.
:

Which has bugger all to do with Google as AI. You bleat about it so
frequently, surely you must know what AI is.

:
:
: :
: :We are replacing analogue
: :television at a rate of knots ...
: :
:
:
:2012 for Brtain. BT Vision is doing exactly what I am saying. It is
:broadband powered. As soon as a reliable true 8MHz can be delivered
:Radio Reloj will be truly dead.
:

What the hell is "a rate of knots"?

Is English not one of your first three languages?

territory."
--G. Behn