Old June 21st 07, 12:48 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.skeptic,sci.astro,uk.sci.astronomy
BradGuth

Default What's wrong with there being ETs (smarter than us none the less)

On Jun 20, 11:23 am, "Bill Habr" wrote:
"BradGuth" wrote in message

ups.com...

Which laws of physics forbids other intelligent life?

None

That's exactly what I'd thought, yet our usenet Zions and of their
Athiests friends seem to believe that most all that's off-world is
entirerly inert, and otherwise for the most part of no great value to
our terrestrial way of life. Of course they typically also believe
there's no such global warming going on, and that there's none better
than our resident warlord(GW Bush) for the job.

What sort of evolution is strictly terrestrial limited?

Terrestrial evolution

I'd meant terrestrial like evolution. In other usenet friendly words,
you'd have to agree that weird or possibly similar life to that of
ours could exist/coexist where it might otherwise be somewhat humanly
lethal to our DNA in the buff.

Technically altered and/or via applied physics or perhaps even
evolution assisted if there's sufficient time (using our best
intelligent design if there's insufficient time for the random
happenstance of nature to grasp the idea), whereas it seems all sorts
of viable intelligent other life could have and may yet exist/coexist
on Venus.

The interpreted observation of what looks perfectly ETI worthy about
Venus seems to suggest that for at least the past decade we've either
been kidding ourselves or getting snookered by our own kind. Of
course, those in charge of officially presenting the best available
science haven't been exactly helping, in fact if anything they've been
doing all they can in order to moderate or if at all possible banish
any such notions.

What sort of planet/moon extremes are totally insurmountable for
having accommodated intelligent life?

Unknown

Once again, I totally agree, especially since we haven't an honest
clue as to what's on our moon, much less of some other nearby planet.
However, it seems there are certain technological limitations that
we'd need at our disoposal

A final thought:
If they are intelligent they are smart enough to avoid humans.

That's actually a very important and believable final thought, whereas
most any human contact could seriously erode whatever essential
advantage ETs currently have over us, such as I'd insist upon learning
how the heck they manage to get safely between various planets.
-
Brad Guth