Old June 20th 07, 07:27 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.skeptic,sci.astro,uk.sci.astronomy
Ian Parker

Default What's wrong with there being ETs (smarter than us none the less)

On 20 Jun, 15:46, Fred J. McCall wrote:
Ian Parker wrote:

:
:We are looking at things like Google as a possible version of AI on
:the Web.
:

Not if we're sane we're not.

:
:We know that television appearances in effect selects the President.
:

Nope. We don't know any such thing.

Well every candidate seems to think otherwise.

Google have assembled an impressive array of experts who have written
what to me are marvellous papers. I have just given a critique.

http://www.paperoftheweek.com/2007/0...-intelligence/

The key issue is linguistics. You can make jokes on the lines of
"Quieres dormir con fosforo" but the tackling of language, and speech
which is a branch of linuistic understanding is impressive. "I want a
spring for the clock" = "Quiero una resorte por el reloj" reloj =
resorte is the sort of thing that the diagrams in the speech paper is
talking about. The evaluation of a complex Markov diagram is
complicated but it can be done. Google is on its way. What it has
already delivered is impressive too. Getting everything to work on a
Web scale.
:
:We are replacing analogue
:television at a rate of knots ...
:

2012 for Brtain. BT Vision is doing exactly what I am saying. It is
broadband powered. As soon as a reliable true 8MHz can be delivered
Radio Reloj will be truly dead.

- Ian Parker