Old November 12th 12, 05:54 AM posted to sci.space.history
[email protected]

Default Group 5 astronauts and Apollo

....Frack me running! There's a thread on ssh that actually *DEALS* with space history?

Jan, you and Brian have brought a tear to my eyes

On Saturday, September 22, 2012 12:19:33 PM UTC-5, Jan Philips wrote:

Without going through the details, that
probably leaves a shortage of CMPs unless you pull from group 5
although several of them became LMPs).

....Actually, Pete, Al and Dick had an answer for this one: Just fly the All-Navy crew for the rest of the missions, only rotate who sits in what seat. In other words, fly A13 with the CDR-LMP-CMP of Al, Dick and Pete, then A14 with Dick, Pete and Al, then A15 with...well, you get the picture. And while I'd be the last to deny any of the later crews their earned place in history(*), considering the success of A12, - cameras and lightning notwithstanding - one honestly can't argue with their logic.

OM

(*)And yeah, this means I side against Jim McDivitt in his little last-minute crusade to have Geno Cernan replaced following his chopper mishap. A lot of us old hands have discussed this over the years, and while nothing concrete has ever been uncovered, the anal-retentive stance that McDivitt took - even going so far as to resign from his administrative position in protest - belied some sort of animosity between the two.