Old March 30th 18, 10:46 PM posted to sci.astro.research
Martin Brown[_2_]

Default NGC1052-DF2 Diffuse Galaxy without dark matter

[Mod. note: this article arrived in my moderation mailbox with a number
of garbled non-ASCII characters. I have fixed things up as best as I can;
my apologies to the author if I've mis-inferred his intended meaning.
-- jt]]

What do people think of the recent claim in Nature that one of the new
wide field instruments has found a candidate diffuse galaxy NGC1052-DF2
which appears to have little or no dark matter in it?

http://nature.com/articles/doi:10.1038/nature25767
[[Mod. note -- Open-access preprint
https://arxiv.org/abs/1803.10237
-- jt]]

If their result is confirmed then it would presumably put the nail in
the coffin of all modified gravity theories and the search for the
mysterious cold dark matter that only interacts via gravity will hot up.

Finding a diffuse galaxy with a velocity dispersion that shows there is
only baryonic matter in suggests that dark matter really does exist.

Dynamically can anyone see how a bunch of stars could be peeled off by a
galaxy galaxy interaction without also taking dark matter with it?

Thanks for any enlightenment.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown