Old July 30th 07, 11:55 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.environment,sci.physics,alt.global-warming,alt.politics
[email protected]

Default Science out the window when it comes to political issues like "gun control" and Global Warming!

On Jul 30, 2:46 pm, Einar wrote:
wrote:
On Jul 30, 2:21 pm, Joe Strout wrote:
In article . com,

Benj wrote:
They say global warming is real (it is!)
Then try to make the case that some politicians (Bush) have tried to
deny global warming. (He has in the past)
Then comes the huge "leap of faith" where CO2 is accused by reason of
a "greenhouse effect" to be the "cause" of global warming.

That's not a leap of faith, that's the scientific consensus resulting
from decades of detailed, careful climate modeling by real climate
scientists, before the whole thing became politicized and unscientific
loons like yourself started trying to get involved.

If you stick to serious scientific journals, like Science (which I've
read on a weekly basis since college), it's clear that there has never
been any serious controversy about whether the current warming is
anthropogenic, nor the extent to which CO2 and other gasses are to blame
(and yes, there are others, but that's the main one).

No such theory exists. All we have are vague, untestable notions.

If you believe otherwise then why don't you show us. Go ahead. What
are you waiting for, a hand engraved invitation. Show us. Put us in
our place. Go ahead.

There has been
only the ordinary haggling over the details.

This is much like another case where unscientific loons with a political
axe to grind are trying to interfere with the scientific process:
evolution.

Really. I'm an expert in evolutionary theory.

Biologists all know evolution is real, just as
climatologists all know that anthropogenic global warming is real.

Bull****. AGW is 100% propaganda, 0% science.

But
religious fundies try to spread uncertainty and doubt by digging up
"experts" who support their views, as long as you don't look too closely
at their arguments or credentials; and by blowing ordinary scientific
discourse out of proportion to make the case that the scientists haven't
any idea what's going on.

Surely you don't expect us to take your word on all of this. Or do
you?

This is by now very much old hat to anybody who follows such things;
these are the standard tricks which people use to obstruct the
dissemination of scientific understanding.

Nobody stopping you from posting whatever you wish.

It's often effective, too --
look how many people still ascribe to creationism (or some modern label
thereof such as "intelligent design"), and periodically get schoolboards
to interfere with the teaching of evolution, one of the central pillars
of biology.

It's a bit sad that the U.S. seems particularly susceptible to such
shenanigans; most other countries are far more rational in this respect.
I attribute this to the combination of poor science education, and an
abnormally high level of religious fervor. Frankly, we'd be much better
off with more science and less religion, since science leads to truth,
while religion leads to dogma (often, *conflicting* dogma, which leads
to wars and other such unpleasantness) and poor decisions.

Science, it seems has developed a certain amount of well-deserved
credibility in the public perception.

But not enough, apparently, since politicians and religious leaders can
still spread uncertainty and doubt regarding firm scientific conclusions
-- just as you're doing now.

AGW theory is nothing but vague, untestable rhetoric. It exist only
in the fervent imagination of numerous whackos like yourself. (You
are demostrating as much right here.)

No! We need to squawk loud and often about this SUBVERSION of the
integrity of Science by political agendas. When lies are all over the
media being held up as "science" someone needs to point it out and
when prizes are given for bogus research they need to be taken back
and the schools embarrassed! In short all this MISUSE of OUR science
for political purpose needs to stop and it's only going to stop if WE
start speaking out instead of going along with those pretending there
is a "scientific" debate where there actually is none!

Oddly enough, I agree with all this. It just seems to be the exact
opposite of what you were doing a few paragraphs ago.

That's because your own thinking is so ephemeral you don't know what
you think from one moment to the next.

Expert on evolutionary theory. Extrapolate a bit on that.

Google Groups.

Even though
itīs not on topic, does that mean you agree with scientists that
evolution is real

Of course.

and that you accept the currently given scientific
age for the planet?

Specifically?

Einar- Hide quoted text -