Old January 6th 18, 05:43 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Gerald Kelleher

Default What the direct/retrograde motion of Venus looks like

People with a genuine attachment to astronomy would have no difficulties with the sequence of images which present a story of a faster moving Venus and how we see it from a slower moving Earth and especially the resolution of direct/retrogrades, not an an illusion as with the slower moving planets, but as an actual loop with phases and size increases guiding the story -

http://www.popastro.com/images/plane...ary%202012.jpg

Using the transition of the stars along the orbital plane from left (evening appearance) to right (morning appearance) due to the orbital motion of the Earth is crucial to set the Sun up as a central reference but first and foremost proves the Earth runs a circuit of the central Sun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeQwYrfmvoQ&t=30s

A teacher instructing students on the two main principles for the motions of Venus and Mercury as seen from a slower moving Earth will be admired for having intelligence and dignity while I have nothing to say about those who would diminish this new insight.