Old September 2nd 16, 06:18 AM posted to sci.space.policy
William Mook[_2_]

Default "Flight proven" is the new "Certified Pre-Owned"

On 2016-08-30 15:01, Rick Jones wrote:
It would seem that "flight proven" is now "officially" to used rockets
what "certified pre-owned" is to used cars:

http://www.marke****ch.com/story/spa...ets-2016-08-30

I wonder if Cape Canaveral will be *totally* business as usual, of if
they will move all equipment out, batten down the hatches if they think
higher risk of failure, just in case.

The damage at Wallops was fairly extensive and took quite a while before
site became functional again. I am sure the Cape launch facility doesn't
want to be down for that long.

(not saying that the "flight proven" rocket has higher risk, but
wondering what Cape folks think).

If this was done before the FTS failure today, its prescient don't you think? This is the sort of publicity that could kill SpaceX and maintain the artificial scarcity I spoke of yesterday, particularly if the alliances with insurers is tested.