Old July 21st 04, 01:07 PM
Ian Stirling

Default On July 20.1969.....

In sci.space.policy Robert Casey wrote:
Now officially, if you reached that point and
weren't actually on the ground yet, you were supposed to abort --
otherwise you lost your escape route -- but in practice, most of the
Apollo CDRs would probably have said "don't bother me, I'm busy landing"
and carried on to touchdown.

How bad a landing could the LM take and still have a flyable
ascent stage? Say the legs got busted up so forget about the
moon walks.

I should probably look this up...
Is the LM light enough that it could be manhandled to a flat spot, if
(for example) a leg broke, it it landed intact on a large rock.

How vertical did the ascent stage need to be?