Old August 20th 04, 03:35 AM
dave schneider

Hop David wrote:
[...]
Rainier is an American brand. But it does show the
boozed bruin is not your average beer.

I stand corrected -- looks like a Pabst product.

Well, in the '70s and '80s the regional breweries got bought up by the
majors and then passed around. That's why Weinhard's is brewed in the
wrong state now, and also it makes it hard to remember who's brewing
what.

Although a Canadian beer could still be called American. (I used to have
a teacher from Mexico that was adamant "America" and "U.S.A." were not
synonymous. He maintained that people from Sonora, Mexico were just as
American as people from Arizona, U.S.A.)

Of course they are, but don't they usually call themselves after
either their country (Mexico) or their cultural roots (Toltec, Aztec,
Mayan, ...)? Meanwhile, we can't call ourselves "Unitedians" -- that
would conflict with various other United countries also in this
hemisphere, and "Statesian" has the same objection. I suppose we
could make a pitch for "oo-see-ans".

/dps