Old September 4th 03, 12:50 AM
Llanzlan Klazmon The 15th

"jojo" wrote in
:

I was watching a show about Hubble last night but...fell asleep (it
was very late)

anyway, as I understand it only 3 of he Hubble's 6 gyroscopes are
working. Is this correct?

Could be - the darn things have had to be replaced before. Hubble was
offline for some time waiting for a previous servicing mission to replace
failed gyros. Hubble is supposed to be decommissioned by 2010 and
replaced with the James Webb Space Telescope. I gather that the James
Webb will be primarily used for infrared observations.

What is it's life expectancy?

See above.

Also, are the images for the VLT in Chile comparable to the Hubble
images?

VLT info:

http://www.eso.org/outreach/info-events/ut1fl/

L.