Old December 1st 04, 05:03 AM
Pete Lynn

"Henry Spencer" wrote in message

As Rand says, this is a very old idea. Unfortunately, it
turns out that legs are really quite useful in free fall, for
holding you in place and maneuvering you around (using
foot restraints, of course). The pod concepts mostly date
from a time when people thought that working while
floating free would be easy, when in fact it's extremely
difficult.

The idea is not ridiculous, but it's by no means obviously
attractive.

Considering the dexterity that some people manage with the likes of
bicycles, forklifts, even helicopters, I am hopeful that some kind of
remote leg, perhaps with prehensile toes, might be workable. At first
thought, human legs do not seem that well suited to space, many much
longer grappling legs, (perhaps foot operated), might be of some use.
Even if this is not as coordinated as a suited leg.

The pod concepts do not necessarily have to replace space suits, just
supplement them. Designing the space station, or whatever, with such
pods in mind might also be sensible. For example, the capacity to
externally detach small things and then bring them through an airlock
into the pod for onsite fine work without gloves might make some sense.
Detaching larger objects and carrying them into a hanger for such fine
work also seems highly desirable. A gloved hand is still far inferior
to bare hands for fine work.

I think such pod approaches should enable you to greatly reduce suit
time at little extra cost. Even having a podded person on hand to
assist the suited "surgeon" with tools, air, extra eyes, power, heavy
grappling, a mobile platform, simple tasks, fine work on detached
components, etc., might greatly speed up the operation at little cost.
The likes of a quick flyby inspection of the space shuttle tiles would
also be possible, not that I am suggesting use of a shuttle.

Point being, I suspect such a pod system might be a useful and justified
addition to space station operating equipment. Greatly increasing your
options and ability to quickly do stuff.

Pete.