Old December 24th 18, 11:31 PM posted to sci.space.policy,rec.arts.sf.science
Jeff Findley[_6_]

Default BFS drops composite construction

In article ,
says...

JF Mezei wrote on Mon, 24 Dec 2018
12:38:00 -0500:

The other argument made was that a shiny reflective surface might
reflect much of the heat generated by the plasma around the skin instead
of absorbing it. (but this would assume the ship's exterior is stainless
steel and I doubt stainless steel has a high enough melting point, or
does it?)

Depends on which stainless alloy you're talking about and how high a
melting point is 'high enough'. There are stainless steels that are
good to temperatures of 1400 C (AISI 330).

Elon Musk on Twitter 2:38 p.m. on Dec 22, 2018:

Yup. Actually, the only significant design element in common
with early Atlas is stainless steel & we?re using a different
alloy mix. I super ?? 300 Series Stainless!

Jeff