Old August 4th 19, 03:35 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

Default Senate Launch System continues to delay development

In article ,
says...

On 2019-08-03 13:05, Jeff Findley wrote:

said, the only things being reused are the SSMEs and those got new
engine controllers and are being used in expendable mode at a higher
thrust setting than they were used on shuttle missions.

Considering the number of times NASA has bragged about SSMEs engine
tests, are they really "expendanble" since they seem to be test fired
many times over the last few years?

They're being used on SLS in an expendable mode. That's a fact. The
RS-25E engines that will be "new builds" will almost certainly be test
fired before being used *once* on SLS in an expendable mode. No doubt
some tweaks to the design were made with that in mind.

All of the shuttle ET tooling was destroyed.

If there had been no political interference, when Constallation was
replaced with SLS, would the core still have been ET-like and sent to
Michoud for construction? aka: is the concept/design sound or did they
impose an ET-like design to help Michoud?

The destruction of the ET tooling dates back to the Ares I/Ares V days.
So if you want to blame someone, blame than NASA Administrator Mike
Griffin for that.

Without tooling and work for some time, I take it Michoud had to start
from scratch when it got contract for SLS main tank?

Pretty much. They bragged a lot about the new tooling and (new to
Michoud) friction stir welding, which they had a *lot* of problems with.

the nozzle into chunks. The core stage has not been test fired yet.

Physically, can they test fire the core stage standing up without 2
boosters attached?

Yes. That's the whole point of the "Green Run" tests. NASA did the
same with the Saturn V's first stage. This whole SLS program is being
run in a back to the 60s and 70s way, IMHO. Lots of tests at lots of
different sites, making sure the pork is spread around.

July 25, 2019
?Green Run? Test Will Pave the Way for Successful NASA Moon Missions
https://www.nasa.gov/exploration/sys...est-paves-way-
for-nasa-moon-missions.html

Jeff