Old March 21st 17, 10:41 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Rick Jones[_6_]

Default First Viable Business on Luna

JF Mezei wrote:
Seriously, would landing a rover on the moon be easier/harder than
landing it on Mars? (no atmosphere at all vs enough to use
parachutes).

Would sending it to the moon require must less fuel than Mars or not
that much different ?

Given the OP's stated business proposition - charging people to drive
a rover around - difficulty of landing and or quantity of fuel to
arrive don't strike me as the biggest decision points between Moon or
Mars. Speed-of-light delays and so "interactivity" strike me as
greater issues in that the round-trip time for signals to/from the
Moon versus Mars would seem to very strongly favor the Moon.
http://www.spaceacademy.net.au/spacelink/commdly.htm - note those are
one-way.

I don't see the fun of driving a rover on Mars lasting very long with
those sorts of delays.

rick jones
where do you want to be today?
these opinions are mine, all mine; HPE might not want them anyway...
feel free to post, OR email to rick.jones2 in hpe.com but NOT BOTH...