Old May 15th 18, 02:04 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Fred J. McCall[_3_]

Default First flight of Block 5 successful launch and landing

JF Mezei wrote on Tue, 15 May 2018
04:04:57 -0400:

On 2018-05-14 23:00, Fred J. McCall wrote:

That's not a 'but'. I Still Love You is the name of the barge. It's
the only thing out there to land on, so if the stage successfully
landed that would be where.

SpaceX has had higher success rate landing on ground than on the barges.

Well, no, not in any real sense. The only reason barge numbers are
lower is because all the development of the capability was done with
barges.

(I realise that landing on barges is also because of shortage of fuel
which limits control for landing).

Close but no cigar. Landing on land requires totally reversing the
velocity vector of the first stage after separation.

Still, a success on a barge with a "new" rocket on first time is very
impressive.

You might want to look at just how many successful barge landings they
have under their belt and when the last failure was.

territory."
--G. Behn