Old October 21st 13, 05:53 PM posted to sci.space.history
Brad Guth[_3_]

Default Space Race Driven By Nuclear Threat - Shift Toward Understanding

On Monday, October 21, 2013 1:51:11 AM UTC-7, Stuf4 wrote:
Hola. It's clear that there has been a solid shift toward understanding that the Space Race was driven by the nuclear threat, and this view is now established in the mainstream. The latest video I'm aware of is this PBS Digital Studio spot that answers the question,

"Why Do We Go to Space?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TES491F2e6c&t=26s

Quote: "Our first rockets were weapons ...we rode to space on the tip of giant missiles. We were driven by war. ... We rode those rockets to the Moon."

The person who has brought this view into the mainstream, as I have spoken of previously here, is Neil deGrasse Tyson. Here's his speech from last year where he explains his book "Space Chronicles", a book which he says he wanted it to title it:

"Failure to Launch: The Dreams and Delusions of Space Enthusiasts"

This is a very long speech he gives, but this link is cued up to a section where in a couple of minutes he explains JFK's 1961 speech as persuading that it is...

"...the War Driver that led to the Check Writing."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErZq2ZQQTrs&t=42m50s

Huge kudos to NdT.

~ CT

Except Russia never had intentions or having taken aggressive actions as representing any real threat to America. Virtually all the fears and any notions of a national threat from Russia was perpetrated and/or exploited by those of our MIC.