Old October 4th 18, 02:16 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

Default Neil DeGrasse Tyson headed down same loony road as Carl Sagan?

On Thu, 04 Oct 2018 08:38:08 +0200, Paul Schlyter
wrote:

On Tue, 02 Oct 2018 07:01:20 -0600, Chris L Peterson
wrote:
You sound like a physicist from the late 1800's. Back then,

physics
was believed to be understood almost completely. Only a few minor
details needed to be clarified. However, those "minor details"

soon
expanded into relativity and QM, making physics quite different
compared to earlier...

Back then we lacked the knowledge to know what knowledge we lacked.
That doesn't appear to be the case anymore. We have a good
understanding of where the holes in our knowledge are, and we have
good ideas about the sort of things that are likely to fill them.

If you would live for another 100-200 years I think you'd become
quite surprised about the development in physics more than once.

We'll see. But I don't think our core understanding of physics is
going to look all that different in a couple of centuries. Or ever.