Old October 24th 05, 10:37 PM
John

Default No straight answers from NASA on depressurization event on Soyuz descent

It will be interesting to see how reactions run to this question. My
reaction is that if (and these are not foregone conclusions) the crew
is prompted in time, sufficiently trained to rapidly don helmets and
gloves, and the leak rate is not unreasonably high . . . then no . . .
it not seriously life threatening (i.e. prompt dire consequences for
the crew). But it is unsettling that the crew would be down to their
last layer of redundancy (the suit itself).

Yes, the suits have been reliable (when donned in a relaxed fashion
with someone backstopping you) and no, I not saying we should stay on
the ground unless the risk is zero. It is that it elevates the pulse
slightly that you are down to your last (albeit very good) layer of
defense.