Old May 7th 19, 04:00 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Fred J. McCall[_3_]

Default SpaceX Dragon 2 capsule destroyed in abort motor ground test

JF Mezei wrote on Mon, 6 May 2019
17:03:13 -0400:

On 2019-05-06 14:58, Fred J. McCall wrote:

What we used to do was what we called "shake and bake" testing.

In the context of a highly instrumented ground test, wouldn't they first
fire the engines without vibration so they can establish a baseline
where they work, and then do a subsequent test with vibration where if
there is failure, it bcomes easier to narrow the possible causes ?

That doesn't make it easier.

In terms of re-usability, would the mugh higher thrust for Super Dracos
introduce some limits to how often they are designed to be fired versus
the Drasos that are fired hundreds of times to navigate in space and
then de-orbit (a firing that lasts 15 minutes).

No.

--George Bernard Shaw