Old July 13th 09, 02:21 AM posted to sci.space.history
Joseph Nebus

Default Why dump Skylab's atmosphere?

In the midst of a discussion over on rec.arts.sf.written I ran
across a point about Skylab that I hadn't noticed before. Following
the end of the third and most confusingly numbered astronaut mission:

After the crew had returned to earth and the
end-of-mission engineering tests were finished, flight
controllers vented the atmosphere from the workshop, oriented
the cluster in a gravity-gradient-stabilized attitude with the
docking adapter pointed away from the earth, and shut down most
of its systems.

http://history.nasa.gov/SP-4208/ch19.htm

OK, but why vent the atmosphere?

--