Old February 16th 17, 03:09 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

Default June 30th is Asteroid Day!

On Thu, 16 Feb 2017 00:31:40 -0500, Davoud wrote:

Quadibloc:
Just heard on the news that the UN is proclaiming an annual Asteroid Day to
heighten awareness of the possibility of an asteroid striking the Earth.

Are we "meant to lie down or put a paper bag over our head or
something?"

I learned in school that getting under your desk and putting your
hands behind your neck could be effective.

(Seriously though, it is not entirely outside our power to take action
to prevent such a strike, so there may well be value in expanding
awareness of the possibility.)